MMA Today’s The Week That Was In Combat Sports
November kicked off with one of the best Pay-Per-View main cards in UFC history – UFC 217. There were three championship fights and three new champions were crowned. Even the most casual of fans heard the news of Georges St-Pierre, TJ Dillashaw and Rose Namajunas shocking the world and becoming champions. For Namajunas, this is her first championship, a second time for Dillashaw and a third for St-Pierre – first in the Middleweight division. Remember all the madness 217 gave us in one video!
— Josh Sánchez (@jnsanchez) November 5, 2017
- In what might be the Knockout of the Year, Tywan Claxton hit his opponent with a dope flying knee at Bellator 186. This was Claxton’s professional MMA debut.
— FloWrestling (@FloWrestling) November 4, 2017
- Ilima-Lei Macfarlane became the Inaugural Bellator Women’s Flyweight Champion by beating Emily Ducote via a beautiful arm bar at Bellator 186.
- WBC Heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder almost killed a man. How the referee let Stiverne go past the second knockdown, I don’t know, but that final knockdown was devastating. Wilder is a bad, bad man. A fight with Anthony Joshua needs to be made in early-to-mid 2018. For science purposes, of course!
Deontay Wilder got no mercy pic.twitter.com/PcR2MVuQNV
— Bruh Report (@BruhReport) November 5, 2017
- Sure they can put a guy who hasn’t fought since last year on the cover of a video game. But why put him holding two championship belts? Conor McGregor won the UFC Featherweight Championship in December of 2015 – two years ago. Plus, he never defended that title. Instead, he went up to Welterweight to fight Nate Diaz twice. McGregor then came back, fought for and won the UFC Lightweight Championship. That was nearly a year ago, again never defending the title. Also, since winning the Lightweight title, he was in a boxing match.
— EA SPORTS UFC (@EASPORTSUFC) November 3, 2017
- Cody Garbrandt finally posted the sparring video that we’ve been hearing about forever where he supposedly knocked TJ Dillashaw out. First off, it was just a knockdown. Secondly, it meant nothing, as Dillashaw was the one who ended the fight at UFC 217 by KO. It turns out the video was just hype from Garbrandt and his team, like most of the build up to their fight.
— Chamatkar Sandhu (@SandhuMMA) November 2, 2017
- UFC President Dana White was recently interviewed by GQ Magazine about fighters and their tattoos. The video is worth a watch just for the fact that White rants on some very bad ink. Here’s the LINK!
- Momma always did say if you fail the first time, try try again. And that’s exactly what Ricardo Ramos did in his UFC 217 fight against Aiemann Zahabi, ending the fight in incredible fashion.
— UFC (@ufc) November 4, 2017
- Fight Nights Global held their 78th event this past weekend from Togliatti, Russia and it didn’t disappoint. There were tons of finishes including in the main event where the fight was finished due to vicious punches and elbows. Read about FNG 78 HERE!
- They both lost at UFC 217, so why not book a fight between former Middleweight champion Michael Bisping and Welterweight contender Jorge Masvidal in 2018? Two different weight classes you say? I’m pretty sure they can agree on a weight. This would be a scrap I could get behind and I’m guessing a lot of you would too!
Confrontation between Michael Bisping and Jorge Masvidal pic.twitter.com/5XjQCyZQMn
— Soa The Hulk Palelei (@soathehulk) November 2, 2017
- The NFL always has its competitive juices flowing but this past Sundays games were full of fights from star players. I think when Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver AJ Green decides to retire from football he might possibly have a chance at a career in MMA.
AJ Green and Jalen Ramsey had time today 😂 pic.twitter.com/NhXCvvQHbh
— 🌹J. Means ❄️ (@FinesseTheWave) November 6, 2017
- So does Mike Evans?
“Hey Mike, did you hear? AJ Green & Jalen Ramsey just got ejected for throwin’ down!”
Mike Evans: “…hold my beer, bruh.” pic.twitter.com/DosOvsSZ2Z
— Justin Barlow😬🤚 (@FFcouchcoach) November 5, 2017
- UFC President Dana White said that he is “Getting into boxing 100%” and that he will be getting his boxing promoter’s license. White talks about boxing all the time, he loves the sport. It comes as no surprise to anyone who pays attention that White wants in the boxing game. The only question is if he will be able to get other promoters to work with him. Two of boxing’s biggest promoters, Oscar De La Hoya and Bob Arum have had not-so-kind words for White. But when it comes down to it and if the money is right, will they put aside their personal feelings and work together to co-promote fights with one another? Only time will tell. But my guess is that they will work together as money talks, especially in boxing.
- Rose might be your hero but Justin Gaethje – You’re my hero!
"Rose is my hero."
— UFC (@ufc) November 5, 2017
- At ONE: Heroe’s Dream, there was a fight where a champion was 60 pounds lighter than his opponent. The fight was booked as an open-weight match. Obviously, size means nothing but when a guy chokes out another guy 60 pounds heavier. By the way, one weighed 185 pounds and the other weighed 245 pounds.
— caposa (@Grabaka_Hitman) November 3, 2017
- Newly crowned Middleweight champion Georges St-Pierre and Interim champion Robert Whittaker had words for each other after St-Pierre’s win at UFC 217. Nice, respectful words. If these two ever clash, the build up to the fight will be the most kind and heartfelt we will see in the UFC.
— FloCombat (@FloCombat) November 5, 2017
- I don’t like ending things on a light note. I like violence and so do you. So here is some brutal violence!
Gonnapar Weerasakreck KOs Kenta Hayashi in 1R (Krush) pic.twitter.com/5qQXzUn8Aw
— Jolassanda (@Jolassanda) November 5, 2017
Bivol vs Broadhurst 1st round, one punch KO pic.twitter.com/ZTgg74oZVl
— KO Kings (@KOKINGS4) November 4, 2017
Sittichai KO's Yi Long. Absolutely slumped.
Muay Thai >>>> Shaolin Kung Fu pic.twitter.com/BctprBuF0K
— caposa (@Grabaka_Hitman) November 4, 2017
nice head kick KO
Win Hlaing KOs Shan Ko in 1R (WLethweiC) 2R pic.twitter.com/cFwJ2a0bYE
— Jolassanda (@Jolassanda) November 4, 2017
Until next week Fight Fans, love and enjoy your combat sports!
For breaking news, fight announcements and rumors follow us on Twitter @MMATodayNews or check out the site MMA-Today!