The Week That Was in Combat Sports
The Week That Was in Combat Sports is a weekly column based on reflection of the week or so that was in the world of combat sports.
- Jessica Andrade versus Claudia Gadelha was a bloody battle between 2 women who showed heart and gave it their all in the Octagon at UFC Japan. Although Gadelha came up short in this fight, she showed why she is a fan favorite in Brazil and the United States, along with the rest of the world. Andrade was fierce and on point with her striking and crazy slams. If this same Jessica Andrade shows up in a fight for the Strawweight championship it could spell trouble for the champion.
- LFA flyweight champion Andrea “KGB” Lee is the real deal. If you’ve never seen Lee fight, where the fuck have you been? Lee is a legit bad ass and would be tough competition for anyone outside of the top 5 in the rankings and within a couple, fights would be in line to take on champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk. Or Rose Namajunes.
- We learned that Ovince St. Preux can put the Von Flue choke on anybody at any given time, therefore it is now to be called the “Von Preux” choke. In case you missed it, St. Preux put the choke on Yushin Okami at UFC Japan.
- A trilogy fight between the pride of Ireland Conor McGregor and Stockton bad ass Nate Diaz has not been agreed upon according to UFC President Dana White which means the fight is very likely happening. There have been grumblings that the big money fight will be taking place at UFC 219 on December 30, 2017. This Stockton boy, hopes to see another Stockton boy fight in this trilogy matchup between McGregor and Diaz.
- Russia’s ACB Fighting League put on an amazing show from Sheffield, England. ACB is quickly becoming a must-watch MMA promotion with every card they put on. If you have yet to watch ACB, do yourself a favor and tune in on Saturday September 30’th. You can also catch up by viewing past fight on their YouTube page.
- In case Conor McGregor didn’t know who the fook Jeremy Stephens was before, he’s well aware now.
— Jeremy Stephens (@LiLHeathenMMA) September 21, 2017
- After her terrible judgment of the Gennady Golovkin and Canelo Alvarez fight, MMA and boxing judge Adelaide Byrd has been removed from judging fights at UFC 216. All fighters on the card, except Kevin Lee – WAR EL CUCUY, can sleep a lot easier now knowing if their fight goes the distance that Byrd won’t be there to screw them over.
- Lightweight king Jorge Linares fought a game Luke Campbell on HBO Boxing. As usual, the champion Linares showed why he is on top of the division. The only fight fans want to see is Linares versus WBC titleholder Mikey Garcia. Linares has 27 knockouts while Garcia has 30. This is a match made in heaven for the sport and its fans.
- Gokhan Saki is a fucking killer in the ring, Octagon, or wherever else he’s fighting. The dude is down to stand and bang and that’s exactly what he did at UFC Japan. Henrique Da Silva was down for a brawl but Saki is a topnotch beast in throwing hands. His cardio needs work but his fists don’t. Saki is a scary dude and every fighter in the UFC’s light heavyweight division should think twice about fighting “The Rebel”.
- Ronda Rousey’s coach Edmond Tarverdyan said he wants the former champion to step into the Octagon at least one more time. To fight featherweight champion Cris Cyborg. Does Coach Edmond have a death wish for Rousey? Cyborg is an elite striker and Rousey has lost her last 2 fights via punches and a nasty head kick thanks to Holly Holm. A Cyborg versus Rousey fight can end only one way – Cyborg victorious via vicious striking and Rousey crying on the stretcher as they take her out of the cage.
- Bellator 183 beat UFC Japan by almost 100,000 viewers. Score this one for the good guys. It’s a small step but it’s a start. If Bellator keeps getting fighters to leave the UFC and they put on shows like this one, the gap for MMA supremacy may continue to tighten.
- WBC champion Deontay Wilder was scheduled to defend his title against Luis Ortiz on November 4th. Instead, Wilder is left without an opponent as Ortiz has tested positive for banned substances in a Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA) drug test. This isn’t the first time one of Wilder’s opponents has tested positive for a banned substance, in fact, it’s the 3rd time in the past 2 years.
- A fighter submitted his opponent by Boston crab in a real MMA fight. I have no words, just watch below.
— The MMA Bible (@TheMMABible) September 30, 2017
- Bellator and BAMMA announced they they will co-promote yet another event. This time in Newcastle. This will be the 2 promotions 4’th time working together. It’s a great partnership and one that should continue well into the future.
- The UFC wanted Andrea Lee to fight at this coming weekends UFC 216. Andrea Lee wanted to fight as well. They even had an opponent set for Lee, Kalindra Faria. But that was all squashed when the organization and Lee were told she had not been through the USADA testing pool for the mandatory 6 months since she failed a test in the past. This is just a bump in the road for Lee, she will get to fight in the UFC, it’s just a matter of time now.
- Cris Cyborg is pushing for a fight against former Bantamweight champion Holly Holm in December at UFC 219. It has been reported that Holm is looking for a fight in December. Don’t be surprised if the UFC makes a fight announcement in the coming weeks for both fighters – if they aren’t fighting each other.
- There has yet to be an announcement made but UFC Light Heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier has said via Twitter that he will be fighting Volkan Oezdemir. This will not be an easy fight for the champion. Oezdemir has raw power and knocks people out. DC will have his hands full in this one.
@volkan_oezdemir I asked and people wanna see u and I scrap. So you got it man! Let me figure a date now. They chose u bud! Congrats
— Daniel Cormier (@dc_mma) September 28, 2017
- On a sad note, Pound-For-Pound best boxer in the world Andre Ward has decided to retire from the sport. He steps away from the squared circle as the WBA, WBO, IBF and The Ring Light Heavyweight champion. Ward was an outstanding boxer who has been regarded as one of the best for nearly a decade. He will be missed by the sport and its fans.
- We will leave on a good note. This coming Saturday is UFC 216 which is headlined by an interim Lightweight title fight between Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee which will surely be a good fight. The co-main event, which should be the main event, will put Flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson up against Ray Borg. Johnson will go for his record-breaking 11th title defense, a spectacular achievement, yet his fight is the co-main event to an interim title fight. Nonetheless, this is a good card that will entertain.
Stay tuned to MMA-Today for all things combat sports and be sure to follow us on Twitter @MMATodayNews for breaking news, fight announcements and rumors!