The Week That Was In Combat Sports
The Week That Was In Combat Sports is a weekly column that catches you up on the week that was in the crazy world of combat sports!
- UFC Lightweight Champion Conor McGregor and the newly crowned Interim Lightweight Champion Tony “El Cucuy” Ferguson traded tweets this past week. If you’re a Grand Theft Auto or Scarface fan, these are especially for you. It’s good to see McGregor found the time to acknowledge Ferguson as he was quiet since the Interim champs impressive win over Kevin Lee at UFC 216.
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) October 13, 2017
- “El Cucuy” responded with this gem
— Tony Ferguson (@TonyFergusonXT) October 14, 2017
- This past Saturday featured some exciting boxing bouts. A Premier Boxing Champions (PBC) card, which was shown on Fox, had two Flyweight Championship fights starring Leo Santa Cruz and Abner Mares. Both won their matches and now are ready to face each other to find out who is the best Flyweight in boxing. We see you Carl Frampton. Santa Cruz and Mares needs to happen, then you’ll get your shot.
- Also on Saturday night, Showtime held a card that featured three championship bouts in the Junior Middleweight division. All three champions; Jermell Charlo, Erislandy Lara and Jarret Hurd, were victorious with Charlo showcasing a stunning Knockout of the Year candidate.
— SHOWTIME Boxing (@ShowtimeBoxing) October 15, 2017
- The Rizin Fighting World Grand Prix took place late Saturday into early Sunday morning here in the States. If you were busy sleeping like most of us, a few things happened; Legends Kazushi Sakuraba and Frank Shamrock took to the mat in a lackluster match resulting in a draw. Kickboxing prodigy and possible future world superstar in the MMA, Tenshin Nasukawa, defeated amatuer Boxing champion, Yamato Fujita, by unanimous decision. Top Brazilian prospect Gabriel Silva stunned longtime veteran Tatsuya Kawajiri with a devastating knee, knocking out the six-fight UFC vet in the second round. Rena Kubota bested American Andy Nguyen with vicious striking and a liver shot KO finish. In case you don’t know who Rena Kubota is check out the full fight HERE! I would also like to use this platform to ask Rena for her hand in marriage.
- Former NFL defensive end Greg Hardy has announced he will be stepping into an MMA cage in November after training at American Top Team for the past year. Hardy will make his debut at Rise of a Warrior 21 on November 4. Read more about this story here.
- Former World Champion Jiu-Jitsu competitor, Mackenzie Dern, made her Flyweight debut at LFA 24. The uber-prospect defeated her opponent by a beautiful rear-naked-choke and is now 4-0 in MMA. Dern has all of the talent in the world and has shown serious improvements in her striking. The UFC flyweight division better take note. You can read more about Dern HERE.
— Josh Sánchez (@jnsanchez) October 14, 2017
- Should MMA promotions promote fights using the word “Violence”? A very popular MMA journalist doesn’t think so and he’s appalled by the use of the word. I have an opinion on that issue and wrote about it. Please read and let us know your opinion of the use of the word violence promoting MMA fights.
- UFC Heavyweight fighter Mark Hunt was pulled from his headlining fight against Marcin Tybura at UFC Fight Night 121 due to health concerns stemming from an article he wrote concerning head trauma. Hunt was replaced by former Heavyweight Champion, Fabricio Werdum. After learning about getting pulled out of the fight, an angry Hunt sounded off on UFC President Dana White in an epic rant on his Instagram feed calling White a “bald headed prick”. Hunt wasn’t wrong in that sense but was wrong in thinking he is in the right health to fight.
So, Mark Hunt isn't too happy. pic.twitter.com/d2y1WlD1EE
— Seán Sheehan (@SeanSheehanBA) October 10, 2017
- Ahead of their fight at UFC 217 in New York City on November 4th, Middleweight Champion Michael Bisping and former Welterweight Champion Georges St-Pierre did a sit-down press conference in Toronto, Canada. The champion, Bisping, played the ultimate heel while trying to get GSP to react. Bisping is one of the best shit talkers in MMA history and has backed it up thus far. GSP is regarded by some as one of the best Octagon talents ever. This will be a great fight on one of the best cards of the year. But did Bisping say he knocked out three training partners? Aren’t they supposed to be there to help you train, not be a….human punching bag?
— #UFC225: Whittaker vs. Romero II 🏆 (@btsportufc) October 13, 2017
- California has had devastating wild fires in the Napa-Sonoma region for the past week. Many have lost their homes and businesses, more than 40 have died and hundreds more are still missing. UFC Flyweight Henry Cejudo was sleeping at a hotel in Santa Rosa, CA, when he woke up to the hotel on fire. He was staying on the 2nd floor of the hotel and decided to jump out of the window to escape a smoky room. Cejudo hurt his foot and had minor burns but was safe and away from the fire. His 2008 Olympic gold medal was in the room. Cejudo will face Sergio Pettis at UFC 218 in December. This could have been a lot worse for Cejudo but he lived to tell the story and fight again.
- Glory 46 took place this past Saturday and the headlining fight was Rico Verhoeven versus Antonio “Big Foot” Silva in a kickboxing match. Verhoeven is the Glory Heavyweight Champion and is a straight up beast in the ring. Silva, on the other hand had no business being in the ring with Verhoeven. It’s sad to see guys like Silva trying to hang on but it’s also the promotions fault for putting him out there in the first place. You can see the ending below.
- And for your weekly video of ridiculousness – a guy who thinks he can defend himself from a knife attack by going to the ground.
This guy is fucking delusional.
He seriously goes to the ground with someone with a knife and pretends to defend himself 😳. pic.twitter.com/HjTZy5OW76
— John Wayne Parr (@johnwayneparr) October 15, 2017
- Please say it ain’t so! The UFC and Pauli Malignaggi are in talks to make a boxing match between the retired boxer and Conor McGregor. McGregor just lost his Boxing debut to Floyd Mayweather Jr. by knockout and Malignaggi is supposedly retired and lost his last fight against Brit Sam Eggington by knockout. If McGregor takes this fight with Malignaggi it won’t be about his love for fighting, it will be about his love for money. Hopefully MMA fans open their eyes to this sooner rather than later.
- ACB held a show this past Saturday from Montreal, Canada and it didn’t disappoint. There were some sweet knockouts and submissions along with fun fights. You can view fights from ACB 72 on their YouTube channel. ACB 73 will be this coming Saturday, October 21, from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in what looks to be another entertaining card from the Russian MMA promotion!
From 🇨🇦 to 🇧🇷!#ACB73 goes down this weekend in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil!
— #ACB88 🇦🇺 (@ACB_League) October 17, 2017
- Invicta FC and Pancrase have agreed to work together and have their fighters fight each other in both promotions. This is a great step for women’s MMA and can only help the fighters and both promotions.
- I will leave you with this bit of a shitty situation that hasn’t been talked about as much as it should have been. A video dropped this week of TUF Brazil Season 1 winner Rony Jason assaulting a woman at a party in Brazil. According to reports, the woman he attacked is his sister. In the video, you can see Jason hitting the woman while on the ground. This is yet another terrible situation with an athlete hitting a female, this time a brother assaulting a sister. This shit needs to stop. What is it going to take for these athletes to understand it is not okay to hit women? Jason is not with the UFC anymore after losing four of six and three of his last four.
— ❌EVil Eddie™❌ (@evil_ecco) October 9, 2017
Please continue to check out this weekly column regarding the week that was in the world of combat sports. Questions and comments are always welcome. Please also continue to make MMA-Today your first stop for breaking news, rumors, fight announcements, interviews and so much more! Follow us on Twitter @MMATodayNews!